Apart from ensuring a great stay for our guests, we also take care of the environment. Managing the environmental impact and reducing the environmental risks are both primary responsibilities of The Toren’s management team and employees. The Greenkey is a national certification that stands for sustainable entrepreneurship, including the hospitality industry. The various levels of the Greenkey certificate indicate the level of sustainability of the organization. The Toren has received the golden Greenkey.
Concern for the environment is a structural part of and consistent with the other business objectives. All employees are required to carry out their duties in accordance to established procedures and the associated policies of the company. Employees are also expected to consider these procedures and policies as self-evident.
The Toren’s policies are:
- Raising employee awareness regarding environmental impacts and the recognition of the importance of this awareness.
- The process-based implementation of guidelines of work and education regarding the environmental awareness of staff.
- The process-based implementation of modifications regarding the property, the surroundings and waste disposal.
- Control on a regular basis with respect to the rules, regulations and guidelines.
- The monitoring of desirable solutions and innovations that have a lesser impact on the environment.
- The measuring of progress and annual determination of “points of attention and points of improvement”.
Concern for the environment is a structural part of our business objectives and we, as management team, ensure that the necessary routines and activities are carried out in accordance with the established procedures.
The Toren strives to be sustainable in all their purchases. With each new purchase made, we consider the effect it has on the environment and on humanity. We constantly seek for innovations that aim to reduce harmful effects on the environment and/or socially responsible alternatives. This is both in terms of suppliers as well as the products used in all departments of the hotel. The products used all have recognized certifications such as EKO, European Organic Label, Label Rouge, Fair Trade, Max Havelaar, UTZ, Rainforest Alliance, USDA Organic, Soil Association, Krav, Bio-Warranty Label, Bio-Siegel, Demeter, Milieukeur, European Ecolabel, Biologique (AB). This also includes local and regional products.
The managers of the various departments have been asked to take our gold Greenkey status into account when making purchases.
With this we use the following guidelines for purchasing:
- Always check whether there is an environmental label version of your product that can be purchased
- Make sure your supplier has a quality mark.
- If unclear, ask how your product is produced and with what materials.
- If unclear: ask whether there is an environmentally friendly alternative that does carry a quality mark
We find it important to indicate, however, that we always ensure a high quality product.
Greenkey in Your Room
If you are curious as to what is sustainable in the hotel and in your hotel room, we are happy to answer all your questions. We use products and appliances such as eco-friendly minibars, LED lighting and the use of extra heat to preheat water. At The Toren you will bathe in luxury in a responsible manner.